TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2008
My pancreas!
I may lose friends over this post and I'll probably disappoint family members, but it has to be recorded somewhere...
Catie is (like I said a while back) totally awesome. If she wants something in life, she makes it happen. And she does want things in life. She has a list of things to accomplish, some of them being running a marathon and sky diving (check, check). Another thing on the list is to get a ride from a boy on a motorcycle by saying, "What does a girl have to do to get a ride on that?" (Check...)
Tonight Mom and Jerry treated Catie and I to see Aida at the good old Hale Center Theater. It was a really great show and our little community did a great job at putting it on. I loved Aida's character and her duets were amazing. (Way to go Elton John.)
She looks like just a little thing, but she could really sing.
Also, one of the characters in the play was wounded in a fight and yelled out what Catie thought was My pancreas! when really he said something like My princess!
Catie drove me home like any good date would do, in her jetta with the v8. A guy on a motorcycle sped past us and I joked to Catie that he would give her a ride. So at the next red stoplight she rolled down her window and said, "What does a girl have to do to get a ride on that?" to which he replied, "Hop on!"
Catie looked at me and I said, "Go, hurry! The light will turn green!" I scooted over to the driver seat watching her walk towards what seemed like a nice boy wearing a button up shirt and nice pants on a motorcycle that he had just proven goes really fast. I asked her if she had her phone and she said, "No. Follow us," just as the light turned green and they turned left and I had to turn right.
I was laughing pretty uncontrollably until I got to the first spot I could safely make a U turn and then realized that I just sent Catie on a motorcycle with who knows who without a phone and I didn't see which way they had gone after the left hand turn! I SCREAMED! What had I done? Why do I do foolish things?!
I went up the road in the direction they had gone, looked on a couple different roads and after finding a super slow scooter and a too loud motorcycle both with only one passenger and NOBODY answering their phones I decided to go back to my house. Maybe she would have him take her there.
I was praying so sincerely that nothing bad would happen to her and that I would know where to go to meet her. Somehow I knew she was at Belmont at the moment....
Once I got home I felt like I should go back to the intersection. I gave Micah his phone back and told him to hold it until someone called and call me if Catie made it back to our house. He said not to do anything in life without asking him first.
Back at the intersection I couldn't help but remember the time that Catie had come to visit while I was in college and we had mom' s car and I let Catie drive. She didn't even have a permit, but for some reason I let her drive and of course Catie hit a parked car causing thousands of dollars worth of damage. What is my problem?
A million things were racing through my head. She didn't have a phone. She doesn't know anyone's phone number! She knows her own phone number. She could call me on that.
All of this probably took about 30 minutes and finally Catie called me from Carlie's phone to say she was safe at home. PHEW!
She had met a lovely boy named Clinton or something like that, who insisted that she wear a helmet, brought her along to drop off a cake from Magleby's to one of his friends, stopped by his house for the helmet, took her for the ride of her life, then dropped her off close to home without any inconvenience or injury.
Catie got some high quality flirting done and accomplished one of her life's goals. Way to go Catie.
I loved Micah's reaction. He googled "how long to wait to call police for missing person" and found out that it only depends on how badly you want to find them. He also said that he was glad things turned out the way they did and to never do that again.
I also loved Carlie's reaction. I asked her if she thought it was a stupid thing to do and she said, "I'm stupid. I just spent 3 hours at the library!"
I think she was feeling nerdy, but who's going to feel nerdy when Carlie has a masters degree and Catie gets kidnapped by some guy on a bike?!
1 comment:
I was just reminiscing about this! Sigh... I heart you.
Post a Comment